Monday, November 14, 2016

T Stands For Grape Juice


Today finds me in my basement studio, where I'm getting ready to drink grape juice.  Oh wait.

I'm also going to dye some fabric, too.

I began by placing some grape juice in a microwave safe container, and have my fabric tied in hopes it will be mottled after it is dyed.

I dipped part of the fabric in the grape juice 

and placed it in my microwave oven I keep in my basement for dyeing fabric. I set the timer to 2 minutes

and watched it closely.

Two minutes was not long enough, so I let it "cook" two more minutes while I had a sip of grape juice.

When I removed it from the microwave, I noticed the juice had splattered on the sides and top of the unit.

I allowed the fabric to sit in the juice while I cleaned the microwave

and finished the last of the grape juice.  Sad but true, I must play the waiting game while this fabric dries.

Now it's your turn to share a post for T this week.  Any post, as long as it involves a drink, is acceptable.  Your post can be about a movie, fine art, postcard, poster art, sketches, digital, hybrid or traditional art, unique teapots, or you might share your garden, or take us with you as you go out and about.   Photos do not have to be taken on Tuesday, but you must link below (direct links only, please) to ensure Bleubeard, the "T" gang, and I visit.  Of course, feel free to drop by to see what the "T" gang is up to, and consider joining us for this weekly event either this week or in the future.  We'd love to have you.





This is Day 15 of AEDM.  Thanks for joining Bleubeard and me for T this week.


22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I like drinking grape juice, too, but I never thought about using it to die fabric. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results. Have a lovely T day, enjoy your juice, have fun! Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

I have tried a sparkling grape juice before made by Schloer which is very nice :-). Looks like you are having fun, I'm looking forward to seeing how your fabric turns out. Enjoy what's left of your juice and have a very Happy T Day! J :-)

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

How fun! I want to see how it turns out. I tried to dye seam binding in beautifully colored hibiscus tea -- I soaked it and twisted it so it would be crinkled and put it in a plastic baggie to dry -- big mistake -- I got MOLD and lots of it! So much for that attempt.

My name is Erika. said...

Have you opened your fabric yet? I am curious how grape juice dyes. I bet pretty well. I remember it staining my clothes when I was a kid and I would spill it all over myself. I haven't had any grade juice for quite a long time. Think its time to get a bottle and have some again. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

the waiting is the hardest part....(yes, that's from a song-do you know it?)

I guess depending on the concentration of grape versus water it might turn out well. Has me thinking about what else that's not chemical would make for good dyes.
Please do share your results. Happy T day!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never _deliberately_ dyed anything with grape juice ;) I'll be interested in seeing the color.

Krisha said...

Waiting to see how this grape juice will dye the fabric. It never lasts long enough, around here, to do any kind of crafting with it...LOL!
I have MADE myself learn to cover EVERYTHING that goes into the microwave.............I just hate to clean that thing.
Happy T-day

johanna said...

very interesting post... i do not have a microwave, but i would iron it instead after soaking to heat set it. i´ll be watching curiously how it will turn out after washing!
have a great week, elizabeth!

froebelsternchen said...

I am looking forward to see how it turned out !
Happy T-Day Elizabeth!
oxo Susi

chrissie said...

Looks very interesting and also very tasty. Thank you for inviting me to join you today

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

I look forward to seeing the results of this project. Experimenting is fun especially when you have to play a waiting game at the end to see what happens.
Glad you enjoyed the rest of the jiuce.
Happy T day.
Yvonne xx

Lisca said...

That looks interesting. I'm sure it will stain as I have spilt wine on my clothes many times and it stains like nobody's business. (If the grape juice is not watered down). Salty water helps to get the stain out, so putting salt lumps in the middle of your fabric should give an interesting result too.
By the way, I like your Wichita mug...
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Darla said...

Like others, I will be looking for the posted results of the fabric staining. We don't have grape juice in the house very often but have cranberry juice. Wonder if that would work.

Claudia W | ImagesByCW said...

Oooh, now I can't wait for the result of your grape fabric. I wonder if it really got a 'dye tie' pattern or not. Hmm, I still haven't found or thought about a drink post for Tuesday T.

Carol said...

Waiting to see how well the grape juice works as a dye. It certainly does stain clothes when it's spilled on them :( Happy T Day!!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love watching your dyeing experiments - the grape juice looks as though it will be a pretty pink! Look forward to seeing the pattern you have made. Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

I'll be curious to hear how your dyeing experiment works out! Happy T day!

Sami said...

I would never think grape juice would could be used as a dying medium, what a clever lady Elizabeth!

Meggymay said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm back to try and explain Cream, or Clotted Cream which is the one we put on our scones. So with a little help from help Wikipedia.
Its made with cows milk, which is heated and allowed to cool. The cream content rises as the milk cools. It is thick cream with a high fat content and I think you would probably call it butter.

We get thinner creams here as well,
... single cream which just pours
...whipping cream which will thicken when whipped
...double cream a thick cream, but still fluid and also needs to whisk if you need it to be a firmer consistency,
..... then the Clotted cream, which is thick creamy and very delicious, you use it straight from the tub.
Not good for us say the health pundits but all things in moderation is not a bad thing in my book.
Hope this helps
Yvonne xx


Halle said...

It stands to reason that grape juice would dye fabric since it stains when you spill it on something you want to keep nice. ;) I just remembered throwing a t-shirt into the leftovers of my mom's grape jelly experiment when I was a kid. I don't think my results were that great. I think I tried the water left from boiling beets as well. I guess I always was one to experiment. :)

jinxxxygirl said...

I'm so interested to see what you get from that grape juice Elizabeth... for some reason made me think to ask if you've ever used grape Kool-aid ... would that work ? Love your experimenting.. :) Happy happy Tday!! Hugs! deb

Beverley Baird said...

I've done dyeing with onion skins and tea but not grape juice. Will be interested to see the results.